Sunday, July 11, 2010

Stupid Zombies...

If you look at the timestamp on this post, it should read somewhere in the vicinity of 3 am. This is not a mistake, this is the result of a zombie nightmare. I'm such a baby for a 23 year old, but I have yet to get back to sleep from it. This normally happens on a race day, but the only race on tap for tomorrow is the Sprintin Clinton 5k, a big local 5k I did last year and came in 4th in. But that isn't until 6:30 tomorrow night, so I don't think that's much of a stresser. Part of it is probably from the fact that in the past few days, I've spent a whole lot of time in the hospital. Visiting, not being a patient. My mom was super sick the past couple weeks, and it turns out she has Lyme and a couple of other tick related diseases. Left unchecked, they got a whole lot worse, so she's stuck on IV antibiotics and feeling a lot better, just bored and sick of being there. It's been hell on my training and life in general, since I'm currently sort of homeless, but bouncing to New Brunswick to try to rent out our old place, and trying to train like normal. That didn't quite happen, since I'm also trying to spend a lot of time at the hospital keeping mom company. So, it's been hectic. But then again, what else is new? I have learned just how hard mom works to keep her house relatively clean- I can handle a small apartment, but man, keeping a house decent is hard work! We didn't realize she had left a trashbag outside, and this was the result:
Look in the way backyard. Yep, that is an enormous black bear, dragging a garbage bag. It then tore it open, laid down, and chilled in the backyard and had a snack. Gotta love rural NJ!

Anyway, pre-hospital, it was a good week. After Dad and my traditional bike ride to the parade (he's been doing it for 30 years, I've been doing it for 3), my sister and I went to the beach on Monday. She took some great pictures of me, I was super stoked about them:

Other than that, it's been a busy and harried week. Next week is Nautica NYC Triathlon at 6am, followed by a track omnium at Kissena at noon. I'm stoked to do two races in one day! Should be interesting to do my first short(er) course race of the year. No clue how it'll go, since I'm totally untrained for a race of that length, but here's hoping! I don't know how well the beginning will go- pros and elite amateurs get a dive start, and I've never done one before. It's scary, since we'll be the first waves out and if I get separated from the pack I'll be in sort of no man's land. I hate that.

But, I'm borrowing trouble. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to prowl the house looking for zombies and potentially snacks. Hopefully I can get back to sleep, otherwise my poor dad and sister might be confused as to why they hear the trainer going at 4am...

No comments: