Monday, September 7, 2009

Child Psych Coming in Handy

I am WIPED OUT. Maybe it was the long run Saturday or the legit ride and run on Sunday. Or maybe it was the 8 hour day of babysitting some VERY rowdy kids. Either way, I'm beat and the week has just begun.

On the bright side, I have found my Education Psychology class to be very helpful. Sure, it's obvious information about teaching that's basically common sense in big words, but this one section caught my eye:

Self efficacy is a person's belief that he or she can accomplish a task. "The stronger the perceived self efficacy, the higher the goal challenges set for themselves and the firmer their commitment to it." (Bandura)


I think that all of us triathletes can relate to this, whether we are going for a PR on a sprint or doing a first race, or training for our first (or tenth) Ironman! Either way, we are goal oriented people, arguably full of self efficacy. I think it's a pretty cool concept and I read about it just when I was starting to feel a little burned out. It's helped me really refocus.

Of course, this bulletin board I was looking at while I was reading the text might have helped a bit:


Also, meet the newest member of my family:
My borrowed cyclocross bike... I just ordered the new off road shoes so as soon as I get them, it's time to start learning how to kick ass on the cross field.

And onto the training updates:

This cartoon cracked me up, especially after my "wilderness day" on Sunday. While Saturday was a 16 mile hill ride, on Sunday I ended up getting hit in the face by cicadas and then literally RAN over a snake. I was midstride, realized I was on top of a big black snake slithering along. I've never had a faster sprint work out, and I've never hit a higher soprano note. Yeah, I'm a big baby. Whatever.

Anyway, Saturday's 16 mile run took about 2:10 and felt awesome. TONS of hills and a great time, especially with Dad meeting me along the way with my water bottles so I didn't have to carry them with me. Thank God. I was super psyched given that my 14 mile FLAT run was over 2:10 last time because of stomach problems. This was the longest run I did since the marathon and it was amazingly easy. I felt like I could have kept going and going!

Today was pretty laid back- got up and did an in house weight set because the gyms were all closed for Labor Day, then rode the trainer for an hour when I got home from babysitting. Of course, babysitting is practically entirely cardio, yeesh...



And last but not least, I give you a major highlight of last week. That's right, it's "Fat Weasel Ale" and a bikini body beer opener. Fantastic.

2 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Ya, if i ran over a snake, Ushan Bolt doesnt stand a chance against me in a sprint.

Love the new wheels, good luck on the Cyclocross season, it intredges me, but I have another agenda I am working on.

Missy said...

VERY fun cyclocross! I would totally suck at it (can't ride a mtb worth shit) BUT it always looks like so much fun. Better to have more $ in bikes than cars, I say.