Tuesday, April 21, 2009

More New Goals

So I got a look at the tri coming up May 23. It's a 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run. The site says that it's "flat and fast." Fantastic.

Today was all right. Did yoga, had an interview to conduct for a class, got yummy black bean soup and bread from Panera for lunch, got to bike to class and to the gym in the lovely sunshine, had a great weight session at the gym, and then got to use the trainer for an hour and a half, getting super sweaty and gross but enjoying myself a great deal.

I think in the next month I need to:
1- get a wetsuit
2- get used to said wetsuit
3- practice transitions
4- work on swim
5- work on speedy runs

In keeping with this, I decided that instead of just doing recovery swims a couple times a week, I was going to start doing 150 yards of breathing on my left (I'm getting a little better already!) and sprinting for 400 yards, making sure I'm not totally wasted by the end. I'm hoping to be able to do the 1/4 m swim in around 6 minutes. So, today after not having really been seriously swimming for about 3 months, I did my first 400 yard swim in the middle of my 30 min swim after my weight set. Now, I know a lot of swimmers won't consider this particularly impressive, but I was pretty psyched. I finished in 6:23 feeling good after, and I think that with 3-4 swims per week I should be able to get it down by race time.

I need to get back to my running. Right now, it's been maintenance, so I need to spend some serious time working on my speedwork and trying for a sub-20 min 5k, which I should be able to do.

I'm a lot less worried about the bike. But I am going to try to start doing bricks by running 1-3 miles after cycling races in the coming weeks.

Hopefully I can get a wetsuit soon so I can go to Spruce Run and work on transitions.

This race should be great for learning what areas that I really need to focus on for the NJ State Tri and the Spruce Run sprint in September. And it'll be cool to race with people from Rutgers that are my age.

So in short, I'm really psyched. This is going to be awesome. Assuming I can get a wetsuit and my legs don't cramp, that is. I have high hopes for this one though!

No comments: