Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Painfully Optimistic.

I'm terrible at taking it easy. But then again, my legs are hideously slow at getting back to normal, so fair is fair I suppose. The cramping has gone down a lot, but even 20 minutes on the trainer this morning caused enough cramping that I had to stop and just do some free weights and crunches instead. Biking to class wasn't too bad though.

Been feeling out of sorts the past two days- vague stomachaches, sore-ish throat, general malaise. I think part of it is legit, since most of the house is sick right now, and the other is just that it's a month into the semester and routine is dragging and I can't wait until summer is here. I'm also getting more panic-y about what to do: alternate route teaching, grad school, teach for america, take a year off and focus on tri stuff, etc. It's just a confusing mess of options and I'm not sure how to go about it. There are a couple of teaching positions opening in Hunterdon next year, and there's a house that would be a brilliant buy right by one of those schools, but everything is so "maybe."

Anyway, I'm also just generally having an annoying day- the store was out of mountain dew cans, my bike's front brake was grinding the wheel but it's rusted together so I couldn't fix it and just had to take a brake pad off, I'm riding a ridiculous beach cruiser that will fit in great in Virginia on the beach but is unsuitable for NB in winter, I can't train like I want to be training this week, and just feeling very slow. Whine, whine, whine. Done with that.

I have been thinking over this really great scheme lately though. More and more I realize that I want to keep triathlon in my life as much as possible, even more than I am right now. I started thinking about this when a woman at my aunt's party the other weekend said how she'd love to do a tri but needs the push to do it. I'm thinking about starting a tri club- racers, of course, but also coaching/training other people who want to do a tri, and also plan charity events, like bike drives. I've done the bike drive stuff in the past and I'm great at organizing, so I think it might be a good idea. I've been ruminating on it for a while, and in the next few weeks, I'm going to make some initial inquiries to people about it, try and gauge interest level... So if anyone reading this is interested, let me know!

I'm excited abot the chance to maybe be able to really incorporate triathlon more fully into my life. Depending on how it goes, I'd be willing to take a year off school and just focus on this plan, to build it up. It's all speculative now, of course, but we'll see.

Anyway, I'm going to attempt yoga, which will either help with my leg cramps or make them worse. It's a toss up.

At least this week of not riding or running a lot is good for one thing- tomorrow I'm practicing cornering with Don and whomever else decides to join us. Thank god for that, because I'm getting very nervous about them!

No comments: